Winemaker Adrian Sparks is featured on the cover of the July-August issue of WBM – Australia’s Wine Business Magazine, which is being distributed this week.
In May this year, after 20 years of loyal service, the McWilliam’s family wine company appointed Adrian chief winemaker at its iconic Hunter Valley Mount Pleasant vineyard and winery.
Adrian is only the fifth person to hold the post in Mount Pleasant’s 98-year history and follows in the founding footsteps of legendary Hunter winemaker Maurice O’Shea.
Not bad for a bloke who spent more time at uni playing sport than studying, and who wasn’t much chop on the wine knowledge front. Winemaking isn’t in Adrian’s blood.
“Dad was an ambulance man and Mum was the electoral secretary for Murrumbidgee. I have no idea what I’d be doing if I hadn’t stepped onto this path,” he admits.
“I was always inquisitive and my parents taught me respect and work ethic. They said, ‘Turn up on time. Don’t be five minutes late – you’re holding everyone else up.’ As soon as I was able to work I had a job.”
The words are by Katie Spain and the photos by Chris Elfes.
Other highlights of the 96-page July-August issue of WBM…
• 100 wine reviews by Tyson Stelzer and Mike Bennie
• The sandwich board and online sales – Anthony Madigan
• China: the writing is on the wall – David LeMire MW
• Need for the bead – Peter Bailey
• The intelligent way forward – Larry Lockshin
• Online wine sales: engage and sell – Mick Clarke
• Online customer clamour: the challenge and opportunity – Darren Oemcke
• Selling direct to consumers: six-point checklist to ensure you hit the target – Robin Shaw and Sandra Hess
• Auction stations: no, wine is not a good investment
• WBM Design Clinic featuring Australia’s best wine label designers
• The UK: the end of our way as we know it – Paul Henry
• Finance: money’s too tight to mention
• Hong Kong strong – Nick Bulleid
• Viticulture: terroir and the human touch
• The bloody pest that could end it all
• Magnificent malbec – Dan Traucki
• Go forth and export, but where? Dan Traucki reports
• Carpe vinum: seize the wine – Cathy Gadd
• Wine Ideas: brand new column
• Turning Japanese – Katie Spain hits the streets of Tokyo
To subscribe to WBM visit www.wbmonline.com.au/shop